Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Search is On

Lately, my body has been craving a return to yoga. I have been practicing yoga for about six years now, always at varying levels. When I began practicing, yoga was my exclusive form of exercise. As the years have gone by, I've incorporated lots of other methods of exercise, but nothing gives me the total reset that yoga gives. For this reason, I'm heavily considering making yoga my primary form of exercise again. I've not returned to this way for a while because yoga feels so indulgent...like it's not a "real" workout because it feels so so good. I know that's not really true, but it's a psychological thing I guess. Yoga also always helps me to be more present and patient with life, and enjoy today instead of rushing ahead to the future all the time.

source


In light of this change, and in the spirit of taking advantage of our new urban location, I am actively looking for a yoga studio to join.  I've never frequented a yoga studio before, only practiced at home (through Yoga Today) and at various drop-in places. I love Yoga Today for their community, their great price, their variety and their quality of yoga and instruction, but at this point in my life I'd like to integrate into the community in Dayton a little more and meet some people and potentially some friends. Also...to be completely honest, I've been having a really hard time calming down and clearing my mind in the new house. Every time I roll out my mat and light my candle to get in the yoga zone, I notice a dusty corner or start thinking about refinishing the hardwood! Oh, home-ownership! Anyways, I visited this yoga studio on Tuesday and can't wait to go back. It is less than 2 miles away from our house on University of Dayton's campus, too and has really affordable monthly passes so I am very interested in joining full time. There is another studio in the Oregon district of downtown Dayton (a trendier, hip neighborhood) complete with exposed brick inside the studio that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. It is less than three miles from our house, but I haven't decided if location or cool factor is more important to me in a studio. Quality of instruction never hurts either.. of course! I'd like to take a few classes at each but eventually I would like to buy a monthly/quarterly pass to one and start to establish a community there. Med school has provided a crazy schedule for Eric and I think it would be great for me to get out of the house for an hour or two each evening to give him some peace and quiet for studying or relaxing. It will also make me calmer and give me something to do each evening, which is a win-win in my book. I will keep you updated with the search!

Hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment