Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend Wrap-Up

Sorry for the silence the last few days... I haven't intentionally left the blog unattended but between the three day holiday weekend and trying to prepare to leave town again this weekend, I've been pretty busy this week and can't believe it's already Thursday! And almost June! Welcome Summer!


This weekend was a great one and was filled with lots of fun and lots of family time. I didn't snap any pictures (forgot my camera at home!) but I'll give you a quick run down. Eric and I were originally planning to travel only to my parents' house in Mansfield Sunday-Monday, but on Friday morning we decided to make it a full weekend and visit Eric's family in Dayton. I'm so glad we did! What could have been a semi-boring weekend was instead a great time with beautiful, HOT weather and lots of QT with both of our families. We left Cleveland for Dayton on Friday evening and arrived late Friday night with just enough time to greet my in-laws before heading to bed. I was exhausted after a full day of work and then a four hour drive, so it was time for some rest.

Saturday morning, I woke up and went on a walk around my in-laws neighborhood and then washed the car with Eric and relaxed. After lunch, we headed over to Eric's grandparents' house and swam in their pool for a bit while catching up. Then we came back to Eric's parents' house, ate dinner and then went out to Elsa's (a local restaurant) for a few beers with Eric's family. I have not really been getting too excited about alcohol in the last few weeks so I just had one bottle of Bud Light (plus a lime...counts as vitamin C, right?) and then switched to water.

On Sunday, we woke up early and took another walk around the neighborhood. We then had a great breakfast and went to mass with Eric's family. I had a hard time focusing and kept staring at all of the cute kids in the church...they definitely kept me entertained but spiritually left a lot to be desired! After mass, we left almost right away to make the two and a half hour drive to my parents' house in Mansfield. We stopped in Columbus at DiBella's for lunch...yum! They are some of the best subs I've ever had and I love this place! We only go every once in a blue moon...but boy are they good! When we arrived in Mansfield, we relaxed in the heat with my parents and played a couple of games of Euchre on their deck. Eric and I ended up winning both games, which I think was a shot to my parents' ego as they are regulars in the neighborhood Euchre club, and Eric and I are very casual players...we can't be competitive even if we try. My sister, Kirstin, and her husband, Chad, arrived in time for dinner and we had burgers and hot dogs on the grill. We ended the night with leftover wedding cake that Kirstin brought from the wedding and we watched the first half of "Bag of Bones" - a Stephen King made-for-TV movie that my parents rented for the weekend. By the way..what a scary movie! I normally don't like horror films and I wasn't crazy about watching this one, but my mom is a big Stephen King fan and I think everyone else enjoyed it (mostly). Some parts were just way too graphic, but the plot was pretty interesting.

Monday, I woke up bright and early before anyone else at my parents' house and took one of my parents' three dogs, Brutus (a yellow lab) for a walk around the neighborhood. He is by far the highest energy dog of the three and I thought it would be nice to exercise him a little bit while everyone else was able to rest (he tends to wake my dad up first thing in the morning because he wants to be fed). I think the walk took his mind off of breakfast and he was a happy pup. I can't wait to get a dog...it is on the top of the list for things to do after moving into the new house. Their energy is just so contagious! After Brutus and I returned from our walk, I had breakfast with my family and then decided to go shopping with my mom and sister. We hit up a few discount stores for good deals and I ended up getting a really cute red beachy dress with long sleeves for only twelve bucks! What a deal! I also got a NY&Co belt for 1.99 and a new pair of sunglasses for a few bucks, too. I am a total sucker for warehouse shopping...it feels so not-glamorous while you're doing it, but bargains are the way to my heart and this trip did not disappoint! After getting our shop on, the girls met up with the guys for lunch at Subway and then we headed back to my parents' house. We finished the second part of "Bag of Bones" and just relaxed until dinner. My mom made an awesome smoked brisket and a whole lot of other delicious things for dinner and then we ate key lime pie for dessert. After dessert, it was time to head back home to tend to the kitties and face reality. Luckily traffic was minimal on the way back to Cleveland and the rest of the evening was pretty low key. Although I didn't feel like I indulged too much this weekend, it is nice to get back to an environment with fewer temptations and more healthy choices. I love traveling, but sometimes it's so hard to keep moderation at the forefront when you're surrounded by great food and feeling the vacation mindset.

Anyways, this is getting to be a long one so I'm off for now! It was a great weekend, and there's another one right around the corner!

Q&A:
How was your Memorial Day Weekend? Did you go all out to ring in Summer or did you keep it low key?

No comments:

Post a Comment