Monday, May 21, 2012

Perfect Anniversary Weekend + IKEA!

Happy Monday! Isn't it amazing what a relaxing weekend can do? I'll try to keep this recap short and sweet!

Friday:
After work, Eric and I went out to a local neighborhood who was having their annual garage sale. We stopped at about 6 different houses but didn't find anything that we couldn't live without so we walked away empty handed. The neighborhood had some insanely big houses though, so we drove around for a while and day dreamed about one day living in our dream house! So gorgeous! After we left the neighborhood, we decided to stop at Big Lots so that I could pick out a new pillow. I haven't been sleeping too well lately and I think it's because my pillow has been totally de-fluffed! I picked out a memory foam pillow (my first ever...love!!) and then we found  a total steal on a queen-size memory foam mattress topper. We bought it because I've been really interested in getting one for a while...and let me tell you! It has changed my life for the better! Needless to say that I got some solid sleep this weekend!

Saturday:
Saturday was our six-month wedding anniversary and we started the day off with iced coffee to celebrate! While we were having breakfast, Eric found a show on TV called "Hillbilly Hand Fishing"...which is probably exactly what you are imagining it to be. My family is pretty big on fishing, but this is one type that we've never tried! Maybe this summer... ;)

After breakfast, we headed out to Cuyahoga Valley National Park to a spot called Brandywine Falls. They have a trail there with a beautiful waterfall that used to be the site of a manufacturing mill but is now turned into a historic trail.


The waterfall at Brandywine Falls..gorgeous, right?

We took a less traveled path for a 3 mile hike. It was a hot one but a great time! We came home and relaxed a bit before Eric started on dinner. He made this lemon shrimp scampi recipe and it turned out wonderfully. I am very lucky to have such an amazing chef in my life! After dinner we headed out to the movies to see The Avengers. I loved the movie and gave it a 9 out of 10. I am not usually into the superhero movies very much, but this one had a great cast list and was really entertaining to watch. I could have used  a little more emotional substance (such a girl, right?) to move it into a greater-than-9 rating. All in all, Saturday was a perfect day!

Sunday:
I woke up Sunday with an urge. to. shop. Furniture shop! I have been needing new nightstands in my life since the ones I had were a little (lot) "dorm room". (They were 8 years old and were assembled by my early high school self... who did not have an inch of technical prowess at the time and were crooked and mismatched as a result.) It was time for change! Eric agreed to make the drive to the nearest IKEA in Pittsburgh and we took off after breakfast. I love IKEA and, although it's 100% overwhelming, I could spend all day in there walking around and totally redesigning my whole apartment over and over. I love the clean, bright lines that they use and the fun patterns in their accessories. So many cool design ideas! We finally settled on two new Hermes nightstands and a kitchen side table. We left Pittsburgh around 3:30 in the afternoon; we were going to hang around the city and explore for a bit longer but we were both pretty exhausted and decided just to make the 2-hour drive back to Cleveland. When we got back, I assembled the nightstands and set them up and I am crazy for them! They are a serious upgrade. I didn't take a before picture, but I did snap an after picture...



Ta-da!
 As for the side table, we are going to wait until after the move to assemble it and put it to use, but here's a sneak peek!

Forhoja kitchen cart in birch (source)
After such a fun weekend, I was pretty beat. We hit up the grocery store to stock up for the week and called it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment